Sunday 11 October 2015

Who wants my stuff?

Our recent trailer hunting trip to Alberta brought home for us how real this tiny home experience is. We're looking at putting a deposit down on a trailer that I fell in love with in Grande Prairie, but looking at it made me come home and look at all of our stuff.

I've spent 26 years accumulating things. And now I have to stop that. It's such a scary thought! Storage will be at a premium in our small space so I have already started making lists of what has to go. It's a big list that ranges from things like bookshelves to kitchen knives.

We don't see the tiny home as out forever home, we see it as a great option to live the lifestyle we want while we are able. There's a bigger house with kids in it in our future plans, and while we think we can handle each other in 25 feet of space, we're just not prepared to do it with a couple of kids as well. Many people do, and they are amazing! But we have other plans. This resulted in two lists, one for storage and one for sale. I'm a book hoarder, so my lovely books will be put into storage until we have a bigger home again along with stuff like seasonal clothing and bicycles that will be useful but not all the time.

We will be posting a lot of what we have to get rid of on the Facebook page so if you're in the Okanagan region be sure to check it out! I'll also probably do a bigger post about it later to show what's got to go.

In the spirit of downsizing, here are some pictures of storage solutions other tiny homer's have come up with. Enjoy!

I've never been keen on Murphy beds so this is a fantastic storage idea! Our goal in the tiny home is for everything to have a dual purpose. From http://www.tinyhousewebsites.com/tiny-house-storage-ideas/

I love this. Deep cupboard are annoying in a regular house, this makes them way more functional for a small space. From http://www.ikeadecoration.com

Stairs can make dead space. This ensures every nook and cranny is in use. From https://www.godownsize.com


No comments:

Post a Comment